Nolan Ray Nicely Jr.
Nolan is a native of Alleghany County, born and raised east of Clifton Forge. He graduated from Hampden-Sydney College, summa cum laude, in 1991, and received his juris doctorate from the University of Virginia School of Law in 1994. After law school, Nolan returned to his hometown and has practiced law with Russ Updike since 1994. Nolan's legal practice has primarily focused on complex civil litigation, with particular focus on information discovery, legal research/writing, liens, insurance coverage and other issues related to navigating the information intensive environment of modern complex personal injury and medical malpractice cases.
Nolan has been active in his Church and multiple community organizations over the years. He has a special interest in land and wildlife management and he and his wife, Hope, own the Grizzled Skipper Conservation Ranch in western Alleghany County. They live in the Sharon area, east of Clifton Forge, with their two sons, Nolan III and Asher.
- Personal Injury 50%
- Medical Malpractice 45%
- Workers Compensation 5%
- Social Security Disability
- University of Virginia School of Law, Charlottesville, Virginia
- J.D - 1994
- Hampden-Sydney College, Hampden Sydney, Virginia
- B.A - 1991
- Honors: summa cum laude
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
- Honors: Phi Alpha Theta
- Honors: Omicron Delta Epsilon
- Honors: President's Award for Social Sciences
- Honors: Thomas Bliss Hart Award
- Major: Managerial Economics/History
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, Member, 1994 to Present
- Virginia Bar Association, 1994 to Present
- Alleghany Bath Highland Bar Association, Treasurer, 1994 to Present
- Named a "Rising Star" by the Richmond
- Virginia "Richmond Magazine"
- Super Lawyers
- Super Lawyers
- Alleghany Community Service Board, 2009 to Present
- Charles Pinckney Jones Memorial Library, 2010 to Present
- Kimber Inc. v PM Transport, 264 VA 26, 2002, Virginia Supreme Court
- BE & K Construction Co. v. Perry, 1997 VA. App. Lexis 114, 1997, Virginia Court of Appeals
- Guilliams v Wray, 77 VA Cir. 244, 2009, Roanoke City Circuit Court
- Virginia, 1994
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Virginia, 2000
- Wilson Updike, Associate, 1994 to 1999